Me, Defined

self-taught

–adjective
1.
taught by oneself to be without the aid of a formal education (adapted from Dictionary.com)

Areas of Study

January 26, 2011

I am, myself, self-taught

I just want to clarify that, generally speaking, I respect formal education and those who seek to patronize it. I have nothing in particular against the practice of formal education. I also thoroughly understand that most people aren't of the autodidactic persuasion, at least to the degree I consider myself. Of course, almost everyone these days learns things on their own, but very few embrace it as fully and religiously as I tend to.

I also do believe that getting a college degree is an important step for most young people today in pursuing their life goals. I consider myself a stark exception to the general rule that you need a college degree to succeed in life today. Granted, these days--more than ever before--some professional fields are focusing on demonstrable skills, et cetera, over a certificate proving your time commitment in a formal program of study, but I digress. *smirk*


\Seth

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?